My review of Voyage of the Dawn Treader (the movie).
My overall take on the movie (henceforth known as Treader): ehh...pretty good (which is not bad coming from me, especially as an adaptation of a book :-) 'my brethren, let us not all be book adaptations, for they shall receive stricter judgment' ...paraphrasing James 4 :-))
Personal opinion: moviemakers should hire literary analysts as consultants so they can know what message they are sending. Despite their attempts to stay close to the book, the events that the moviemakers chose to amplify and the storylines they diminished hindered their effectiveness in conveying Lewis' meaning. (Note: if you have neither read the book nor seen the movie this will probably not make sense to you. And if you haven't read the book... shame on you :-) Go read it :-))
Two examples of this, and then what I liked about the movie afterwards...
1) Eustace's dragoning and un-dragoning. We miss a lot of Eustace's emotion here, making his transformation less explainable, but that is not the fatal flaw of this plotline. First, they make Eustace spend a lot more time as a dragon than he did in the book. We'll get to why I don't like that in a minute :-). Second, the beautiful picture of salvation in the book is lost in the movie.
Instead of this scenario: Eustace, longing for the lovely bath in the pool, tries to shed his dragon skin time and again, but is unable. Finally, Aslan asks 'will you let me?' Eustace agrees, and Aslan strips him to the skin (awfully painful, but, O, the relief! Eustace expresses later) and then he can bathe, and is human again.
We have this scenario: Aslan scrapes his paw in the sand, which miraculously scrapes at Eustace as well, and he becomes human again.
2) The green mist. A lot has been made of this... "a disappointment to Lewis fans" etc. However, I don't consider it as much of an addition (as most see it) as an amplification again, this time of the dark island. In the book, the dark island is an instrument of fear and sin, just as the green mist/dark island is in the movie. I really don't have as much of an argument with its presence as with two components of the storyline involving it:
>Its temptation of Lucy is another amplification of a small incident in the book, but it is believable. Meanwhile, its temptation of Edmund (also based on a small incident in the book) is not very. What was portrayed in the book as bewitching by a magical pool (the swordfight between Caspian and Edmund) becomes part of a larger theme of Edmund's desire for power, yet unlike Lucy's temptation to be beautiful, Edmund's temptation doesn't ring true. It's probable, yes, in general, but not for Edmund. Choosing to use his haunting by (I assume) the white witch (who offers him power) would have been better used to tempt him to despair because of past mistakes, which would have worked better with his personality and would resonate more with the viewers, I think.
>Its dispersal. In the book, they sail into the dark against their wishes and better judgment, only to despair. Lucy cries for help from Aslan and he sends a bird that leads them into the light and scatters the dark forever. In the movie, Eustace (freshly "undragoned") adds the final magical sword to the pile of magical swords, breaking the power of the darkness. This is part of the movie's emphasis on human volition, opposing Lewis' stress of human incompetence (hence my 'moviemakers need literary analysts' comment :-)). I'm not so much arguing with the need to cull material - even though the book is short, the movie still needs to be shorter, because it takes longer to convey information by hearing and watching - it's just that the particular events and interpretations they chose to cull were quite unfortunate :-).
However, I was generally pleased. I haven't seen either of the other Narnia movies, but I thought they did a good job portraying Narnia. The actor for Eustace was spot on; the other actors were also good. Reepicheep in particular was superb. I believe I will always think of the end of this movie when I hear of the death of a Christian. The picture of the fond leave-taking between the children and Caspian, and Reepicheep, then Reepicheep climbing into his coracle and sailing over the wave towards Aslan's country - sad to go, but so happy to be going - yes, that is a lovely picture of the death of a Christian. Remember that we, like Reepicheep, own the prophecy: "Where sky and water meet, Where the waves grow sweet, Doubt not, Reepicheep, To find all you seek, There is the utter East" (in other words, we will find "all we seek" in Heaven, "Aslan's country," "the utter East"). We may do many things, fight many battles, in Aslan's name, but in the end our lives are nothing but a journey ever "Eastward."
Onward!
7 comments:
I've read all seven books, and seen the first two movies. I want to re-read the book before I go to see "Dawn Treader."
I don't recall extreme deviations from the book in the first two movies. (I'm sure they're there. I just need to be looking for them.) This is a very good insight on the movie. I would have probably watched the movie, and not given a second thought to any differences.
"(was going to be but the computer wouldn't let me :-( )" ...What were you trying to say here?
I haven't seen the movie(I have read the book ^_^)...
A couple thoughts:
a) "Moviemakers should hire literary analysts as consultants so they can know what message they are sending." Personally, I agree. A lot. ^_^ However, the rest of the movie watching audience may disagree. Why? Because not that many people analyze when watching(at least not in my experience). Instead, they go by the feel of the film, the general idea or atmosphere of the movie to determine how much they like it(at least in my experience). So many people may not even consider what the message is, rather it is absorbed or rejected subconsciously.
b) As for your comments on the movie itself; have you read the World magazine review on it yet? You might get a laugh at how close it is to what you have said.
c) Speaking of said review, the author mentioned that the moviemakers might have intended to add a subplot for suspense/anticipations sake, because the episodic telling of island-to-island trekking might have bored some. Which is possible. But I personally don't see the need to mess up a plot to make it more suspenseful.
d) And I will have to watch the movie to judge myself, but I am hopeful that this one was better than the previous two with regards to following the book(it is probably good that you did not see those). Like the Treader, as you noticed, in the first two there is more emphasis on human ability, and less on saving grace. Also, they add their own subplots to add various types of suspense(such as Susan having a romantic interest in Caspian). And for some reason, they like the battles a lot.
If you were to make a movie, what elements would you definitely put in?
--Josiah C.
Whoops~ the computer wouldn't even publish what I wanted the title to be! Let's see if it will go through here: (I just thought it looked more cool :-), but apparently it means something in HTML...)
Well, it didn't. Oh well :-)
Having seen all three I think that the first movie was decently close to the book, a few differences but nothing story changing, but the second one was really off. From the "make an epic, blockbuster, movie" (which is probably why they made the battles so big in the movie) standpoint they had to change it since the book was basically a long walk through the woods followed by a battle. I don't like how much liberty they took with the storyline, but as a movie it was pretty good.
PS: Am I the only person who noticed that there was a golf course on the one island? (I think that I was the one with the Dufflepuds) You can see the green as the ship first pulls into the cove in the movie and you can see the edge of one of the sand traps at 0:42 here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlMJAOAWk-M&feature=related
I have watched the first, third and part of the second movies so far. If you are interested in the literary elements and also Lewis' Messages I would recommend the book "Finding God in the Land of Narnia." by Kurt Bruner and Jim Ware. As to point of disappointment #1 (Eustace's Dragoning) I would say that I too was a bit disappointed. However, it was by itself a good part of the movie. My 3 yo brother likes the "dragon part". (For about a week the subject of late-night conversation in the boy's room was Narnia.) As to Point #2, I was not too disappointed by the presence of the mist as a visual reference to the temptation the characters faced. However, the Albatross should have been more involved in the Dark Island "Incident". (The book I recommended earlier has an entire chapter dedicated to the Albatross.) I enjoyed the way Reepicheep actively sought out Aslan's Country. (Another point discussed in the recommended book.)
As always we can't trust moviemakers to follow the book completely. They never do.
Jace (Crossway Kid)
For a few good quotes from the above mentioned book, check out www.jacebower.com
Jace
Post a Comment