Pages

Grace

Paul uses phrases such as "I thank my God upon every remembrance of you" a lot. He says it to the Philippians (1:3), for whom he has little but praise and encouragement: 'keep growing!' 'press on!'
Same with the Colossians. "I rejoice to see your good order and the steadfastness of your faith in Christ." No wonder "We give thanks to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ... for you."
Same with the Thesselonians. They were "examples to all who believe."

But there is one more example of a very similar phrase: "I always thank God for you." It comes in Paul's first letter to the Corinthians (1:4). This is to those who were divided, proud, sexually immoral in ways worse even than the unbelievers, profaning the holy... 15:34 sums up well: "Come back to your sense as you ought(!) and stop sinning; for there are some who are ignorant of God - I say this to your shame." Yet Paul always thanks God for these people! What a moment of grace! But how can he say it? Take a look at the context: "I always thank God for you, because of His grace given to you in Christ Jesus."

Paul sees
God's grace in their lives
More than he sees their sin
What a heavenly perspective!
Because that is the perspective God has towards us. He sees us through the lens of grace.
How precious!

Want to know why I studied this? Because there are some people about whom it is difficult to say "I thank my God upon every remembrance of you." Some of them are people in my past (as I'm sure there are some in yours). People who disappointed me, sinned against me, hurt the cause of Christ by their actions in my presence. I have forgiven, as far as I know. But I have not (can not?) forget.

Can we even when we remember these instances of hurt say "I thank my God upon every remembrance of you"? "I thank my God upon this  remembrance of you"? Yes, but only if we see God's grace as greater.

Because it is.

It was for you... It was for me...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this. ^_^
Grace is truly amazing, especially when you consider what it is forgiving. How could Christ love me--love anyone--who was in sin? Despising, disobeying, committing all sorts of abominable rebellions against him...truly, He gives amazing grace.
I actually heard a Korean pastor speak today(Mom and Dad were watching him on the computer when I came back from class), and he told much the same thing that you did. His family, and his people had been subject to the horrors of the Asian Holocaust(which is the common name for the Japanese oppression before, during and briefly after WWII). Without going into detail, there were such horrors there for the Korean people that the Koreans have harbored hatred against the Japanese even to today. Yet this particular young man was planting an evangelical ministry in Japan, to nurture a country that is less than 1% Christian. He told of the struggles that he had with himself, to be willing to reach out to a people who had committed such cruelties against his people and family. But he considered that he was just like that--he, just like us, was one of those who nailed the Son of God to the cross with our sin. But God loved us--showed us grace--even when we were still in sin.
Amazing grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me!
If we truly considered the grace that God has shown us, it would be a joy to not only forgive--but also love those who have harmed us.
And I do thank God upon every remembrance of you, making requests for you with joy, for your fellowship in the Gospel from the first day until now.....you all are partakers with me of grace. ^_^

--Josiah C.