Pages

Quotes

I've discovered I like Ralph Waldo Emerson, reading his essay "Self Reliance" in my honors summer reading. That is not to say I necessarily agree with him - which is an entirely different thing altogether (sometimes I do, sometimes I don't) - but I appreciate his writing style, the breadth of his thought (though it can lack focus), the connections he makes, etc. Here are some quotes of his that stood out to me (from the aforementioned essay), [my thoughts in brackets]:
To believe your own thought, to believe that what is true in your private heart is true for all men - that is genius.
The virtue in most request is conformity.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my own nature. [that is why God changes our natures!!!]
I ought to go upright and vital and speak the truth in all ways. [he has a good theme of truth, but lacks the love that gentles yet emboldens true truth]
The force of character is cumulative.
All history resolves itself very easily into the biographies of a few stout and earnest persons.
At times the whole world seems to be in conspiracy to importune you with emphatic trifles. [too true!!! :-)]
Every Stoic was a Stoic, but where in Christendom is the Christian? [altogether too true]
For everything given, something is taken.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I often find that to be the case with non-Christian writers and thinkers--I enjoyed reading them and was intrigued and stimulated by their thoughts; however, I often go back to the analogy of Mastermind: I'd give those thinkers "right color, wrong place". In other words, they often hit on some very true facts or observations about the world, which I found interesting (especially if they sought truth), but often either misattributed it or simply came away with a wrong or confused conclusion from that observation. 'Tis quite sad sometimes....

[genius] To believe what is true in your heart is true for all men...I don't know if I'd call that genius quite...more...self confidence? However, the writer may have meant something entirely different than what we perceive nowadays. Considering what was said, though, one who believes that his ideas are true for all men will take a more active role in making those ideas some to pass, and if they are good ideas this may be considered genius. Of course, someone who believes what is true in his heart is true for all men may also be considered a variety of other things, delusional among them. As a point: when I had no glasses(but could still only see clearly for twelve inches or so), I thought that everyone saw like me, and that my vision limitations applied to everyone. Point being...what one believes in his heart(from his own experiences) should also probably be tempered with what is wise, shaped by the truths of God; then it may be considered genius to believe that is true for all men. =)
[conformity] Indeed--yet 'tis a virtue that would have many other virtues denied, and creativity stunted.
[nature] Agreed!(to your point) And I am glad that He did. =) For we would have rejected all of the truth and died in our folly had He not set us free from such bondage."For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death"--praise Him!
[character] Amusing--he does have a point though...I think it is funny sometimes when people attempt to put one's whole character into one box or another--it never works, for the person is much more than that...they are an accumulation of so many things, it is almost insulting to them to "make them" one way or another.
[history] In all honesty, I think that all of history could be put easily into the biography of one person, and His Story. =) The point Emerson makes here is interesting...but as I've tried to explain what I'm thinking three times and erased what I've written because I cannot explain it properly three times, I think I'll just not say it until I figure out how to say it. =)
[world conspiracy] most definitely. I mean, just look at the advertising industry for two seconds to see the truth of that. =)
[stoic] I do think it's sad when I ask someone if they're a Christian, then immediately have to ask for their doctrine as well, for just the name Christian has acquired so many denotations and connotations, thus making it much harder to find the Christian in Christendom....
[given] Sounds like a certain law...^_^ Consider that statement with this one though: "the goals which are worth the most also cost the most"(and various other restatements of the same idea). =)

--Josiah C.