Language fascinates me. I learned many things about language and literature along the way (from sources as diverse as Ender's Game, the Bible, ancient Egyptian poetry, debate class, The Hound of Heaven, Max Lucado, and engineering school, to name a few!) but one lesson from many poets stands out as an underappreciated one: punctuation.
I noticed it first when meditating on 1 John 3:1 (thoughts to come later?)
I remembered it today due to a Facebook "conversation" with some friends regarding the difference between
...too ...many ...books.
and
...too! ...many! ...books!
Then there are these permutations
too. many. books...
too many books?
too many books!
too
many
books.
"too many" books!
too-many-books!
--too many books.
too many "books"...
to name a few :)
And then there's my
(thoughts to come later?) above
..which could become...
"thoughts" to come later.
Thoughts to come later!
Thoughts to come ....later :)
thoughts, to come later...
thoughts to come --later
thoughts ...to come later!
thoughts (to come later)
Thoughts to come later.
and suchlike :)
Different, aren't they?
Aren't they different?
Different, aren't they.
No comments:
Post a Comment