Nightfall is an interesting book by Isaac Asimov. I have really enjoyed reading Asimov's books lately; Second Foundation and I, Robot are also winners. Therefore, I decided to review one for you, and I chose Nightfall. The premise is that there is a world with 6 suns somewhere in the universe, inhabited by humanoids (humans perhaps, I'm unsure). I won't give away the rest of the story, though if you do read it, you'll be able to make some very educated guesses after reading this review :-). Here's my basic analysis categories (check out English 111-me style :-) if you haven't encountered my methods before or for a quick refresher)
Values: knowledge/truth, preparation, preservation, survival
Morality: hmm... proponents of religion do suggest chastity and temperance - perhaps to extremes - which the characters regard with disdain for much of the book. Besides the comments on religion, not much is said to indicate a change in opinion afterwards, but what is said about religion is a lot (see below).
Reality: not many statements about reality
Inevitably, as I read a book something jumps out at me. In this particular case, it was Asimov's portrayal of religion. Religion (or those in charge of it) were megalomaniacal, deceptive, domineering, repugnant ...and horribly, horribly right. It was the enemy of science, yet science corraborated it altogether. It was the last best hope of mankind - that is, until reason and science rule again. Asimov didn't seem to know what he thought. However, after giving it some thought, I'd say his message was that religion may seem like mumbo-jumbo, but it may just be hiding the truth behind vain tradition in order to appeal to the masses. In the end, religion will be proven right, and although its leaders are most assuredly flawed, they have the right heart. They are the last best hope for mankind - at least until reason rules again (perhaps in religion?). The end does leave a flavor of confidence in man rather than (ostensibly) God... though God doesn't really enter the picture. It's "gods" and that seems to be part of the pietistic mumbo-jumbo they employ to bring in the masses, rather than something they actually believe. Really, perhaps religion is rational humans at the core, and not supernatural revelation - to Asimov anyway.
One thing I will say about his artistry is that he creates suspense masterfully with - get this - minimal use of the "time crunch." In most modern fiction, suspense is created almost solely by deadlines. Although there are some examples of good use of this device, for the most part it has become trite. Therefore, I appreciated his use of mystery as the element of suspense. More I shall not say, except- this is a book worth reading, especially if you like science fiction. Asimov's books are classic literature for a reason :-).
2 comments:
I remember you telling me about this one...is it a standalone(one without prequel/sequel)? I might want to read it sometime(if I ever get the time...*sigh*).
I like your analysis. It does make you think, though; is that how Christians are viewed by most people? Does Asimov believe that "Religion (or those in charge of it) were megalomaniacal, deceptive, domineering, repugnant ...and horribly, horribly right", or does he hold a different view? Or did Asimov have a bad run-in with the Catholic church? Hmmm.....^_^
Darn...I wanted to know how he does the mystery suspense. ^_^ I guess that I will have to read it at some point, though...ahaha, every time you mention a book that I have not read, I end up wanting to read it. You make life hard for the busy college student. ^_^ In a good way, though--it is your love of books, knowledge, and truth that makes me want to read them.
What? I didn't sign off? Darn...not again...whatever.
--Josiah C.
Post a Comment