Taking advantage of my summer schedule, I've been doing some experimenting in the kitchen and have come up with some recipes I thought it would be fun to share :-). You'll probably notice that most of these are in single size portions. That's because my family will rarely eat my creations... at least the first time :-). Most of these they actually like, though :-)
(We gave my grandma a plaque with this saying)
Life is uncertain~ eat dessert first
Hence... :-)
Frozen Peanut Chocolate Delight :-)
1/4 c plain yogurt
1/4 c peanut butter (I use natural)
~4 tsp cocoa powder (or to taste)
~1 T sugar, or to taste
Mix well. Freeze. Best enjoyed when just frozen - it'll naturally freeze from top to bottom, so I'll usually just eat off the top (frozen) layer, then stick it back in the freezer, then eat the next layer when it is frozen etc.
Maple Nuts
1 tsp maple syrup
Generous sprinkle each of cinnamon and ginger
1/3 c almonds and walnuts (natural), finely chopped
1 T butter
Combine. Toast in a pan over medium/low heat until crunchy. Use like granola, or as a topping for a fruit crisp, or enjoy plain.
And some main course recipes too :-)...
Family Favorite Sweet n Spicy Peanut Sauce
3 T milk
3 T natural peanut butter
2 T sugar
1 1/2 tsp molasses
1 T rice vinegar
cayenne pepper and salt to taste
Stir to combine. Delicious over any combination of rice, chicken, zucchini, celery, onions, cauliflower... (those are the things I've tried it on :-) )
Tangy Sauce
1 T dijon mustard
1 T soy sauce
1 1/2 tsp cocoa powder
1-2 T milk or yogurt (optional - if the flavor is too strong)
Blend and serve over veggies or chicken.
Slightly Spicy Broccoli
1 1/2 c broccoli (I used thawed)
1/2 c chicken (optional)
1/3 c roasted salted almonds
olive oil
ginger, paprika, and cumin to taste
salt
Sprinkle broccoli (and chicken) with olive oil and salt and toast in a pan over medium/low heat until partially browned. Add almonds. Sprinkle with spices. Toast for another minute, may need to refresh spices a little. Serve hot.
Enjoy... if you dare! ;-)
My family ridicules me, for I come up with the strangest flavor combinations (they taste good though! -to me at least). Here is my "secret": I simply smell the spices to see if I think they'll go well together. It's a lot of fun (As stated, my family thinks that is ridiculous, and they have no faith in my mixtures, until sometimes I convince them by letting/making them try it :-). Fortunately mom will try almost anything and like almost everything - awfully nice to have a mom like that :-) )
1 comment:
Yay, more fun recipes! =) I very well might try some.
My family often laughs/groans at the flavors or foods that I try and enjoy(such as odd combinations of Mexican and Oriental seasoning, or strange experiments with normal foods such as turning a normal peanut butter and jelly sandwich to a peanut butter and mozzarella cheese sandwich(it actually tastes good if you have the right type of cheese =) ), or some of my other made-up-on-the-spot recipes), but they are also quite accommodating, and have actually let me try to make some of them. Often, though, the comment passed is "you can make it if you will eat it"...^_^
It is quite nice of your mom to let you make these recipes--more interesting food for all involved. =) Keep thinking them up!
--Josiah C.
Post a Comment