Pages

Something a) random b) fun (hopefully) and c) quick (also hopefully :-) )

Again, I wrote this a little while ago, and wanted to post something, and found it :-)

We had a "surprise birthday party" for my mom this week, with a guestlist of 5 - our family :-). I created this list from memories of a party game that was similar, and we tried to guess them for each other (at least the "one or the other" questions)

Best birthday party
17th(?) birthday when we went to Sims' in the mountains & danced away the night :-)
City, country, or suburbs?
Suburbs - a little bit of both of the others :-)
Drawing or photography?
Photography - 'cuz it actually turns out looking nice :-)
Favorite continent
Probably Africa, especially since I'm taking a cool liberal studies class on it at the moment :-)
Favorite family trip
To Yellowstone/the Grand Tetons... I loved the variety! Mountains over lakes one day, geysers the next, time with family/extended family in between
Favorite flavor of gum
Mint
Favorite form of exercise
Dance
Favorite historical character
Besides Jesus?  I made this tough! :-) Well, one of my new favorites is Faraday, electrical innovator (who was really smart but not a total jerk like a lot of really smart people in the history of electrical invention :-) )
Favorite party game?
Things like this :-)
Fiction or nonfiction?
Probably fiction... nonfiction is an acquired taste I have to reacquire every summer or so... but I do like it eventually :-)
First memory
Welcoming Lisa home - we made banners and books and all sorts of stuff - it felt like quite an event to my 5 year old mind :-)
First pick of a country (or state!) to travel to
I've always dreamed of traveling to Israel...
Hiking, biking, or horseback riding?
Hiking... Mom took the words right out of my mouth when she spoke for me: "it's easiest to talk to people that way" :-)
If I had a million dollars, I would… a) if I had to spend it on myself, b) if I could do whatever I liked
a) buy a library, take a couple of cool trips (with family & maybe a couple lucky friends :-) ), and save some for a rainy day
b) invest, in small chunks, in various missionary initiatives (I don't believe in giving large chunks of money to things - usually seems to do more harm than good), and invest in microenterprise, and still save some :-)
Lord of the Rings or Narnia?
Lord of the Rings: more complex ;-). But I really like Narnia too :-)
Old books or new books?
Old books. People were so much more creative back then!
Watch a movie, read, or go to bed? J
Read!
This was a softball of a guessing question :-). Amy: read, Mom: read, Lisa: movie, Dad: go to bed :-) Everybody knew immediately :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have done something along the same lines when we have people over but the question are different. (e.g. swim the English Channel, or climb Mt. Everest)
Best Birthday: 10th. We went to a Davidson basketball game.
City, country or suburbs: Suburbs.
Drawing or photography: Photography.
Favorite continent: Europe, must say that the history is so astounding and deep. (Not that it isn't elsewhere, but it just isn't recorded as well. Either that or just not paid much attention too.)
Family trip: Washington D.C.
Favorite flavor of gum: fruit (Can't stand Mint though :))
Favorite form of exercise: playing some sport for fun
Favorite historical character: Oh, I couldn't say.
Favorite party game: Not sure.
Fiction or nonfiction: Nonfiction. Fiction needs to be REALLY good to keep me interested.
First memory: Probably my third birthday when I didn't share my toys with the other kids and my parents had to take me down to the laundry room to talk to me. Yeah, I know, nice memories.
Travel: Italy. Love the language.
Hiking, biking or horse riding: Hiking.
If I got a million dollars: a) I don't know. I'm not the kind of guy who likes to buy a lot for myself.
b)Use it to God's glory to mission, etc.
LotR or Narnia: book-Narnia, movie-LotR, Just can't seem to get through the LotR books.
Old books or new books: Depends on what kind. Most likely new fiction (not for the stories but for the clarity and comprehension)
old nonfiction (they wrote down a lot more information back then.)
Watch, read or go to bed: Watch a movie. This is also a pretty easy question to answer for family members :) Dad: watch or read. Mom: go to bed. Priscilla: read. Celia: go to bed. William: watch.

Jace

Anonymous said...

Best birthday party? I barely remember my birthdays--but I know that some of my favorites were a)father-son trip on my 18th(rafting and hiking), and b) I think I might have had a birthday while we were doing relief work after Katrina; definitely enjoyed helping there. If it doesn't have to be your own birthday party; I'd have to say that the one at Sims' is among my favorites as well. =)

City, Country, or Suburbs?
Country. Mostly, at least. =) I like suburbs, but for the pure enjoyment, I prefer country. Not too fond of cities, though Charlotte is one of the better ones it seems.

Drawing or photography?
Depends on whether this is appreciation of the end product or the effort given. ;-) Drawing is more fun to work at and try to accomplish, while photography always looks better. =)

Favorite continent:
Hmm...not sure. Too bad it's limited to continents, not countries.... Europe was fun to study because of all the history involved, Asia because of the expanse and cultures, Africa because we were there for a while and culture....yeah, probably one of those three.

Favorite family trip:
I really loved Africa(don't know if a 2 year life there counts as a "trip" though), France had lovely weather, Belgium had nice waffles(;-)), Monaco had an interesting parade when we got there and was pleasant... but if we're just talking US trips....then probably the one to the mountains in Massunuten(sp?) in Virginia--they were pretty, quiet, and I got to go to some interesting classes on history, herbology, and such there.

Flavor of gum?
Anything a) not really sweet and b)not offensive smell. The only one I've found like that so far is mint.

Exercise?
Probably swimming, if we're going for common ones. If not, martial arts, dancing, and fencing.

Historical character?
That's hard....hmmm....maybe John Newton, for evidence of amazing grace ;-), or Isaac Newton, for faith and scientific interest combined. =)

Party game?
I don't know if I've played enough....but apples to apples, cranium and imagineiff have been some more recent ones I enjoy that don't seem to get old fast. =)

Fiction or nonfiction?
Really depends on the topic of either--fiction for simple enjoyment(if written well--I analyze a lot), nonfiction for learning enjoyment. =)

First memory
I don't remember things chronologically; I tend to remember episodically....so "first" may be a bit of a guess. Some early memories are of eating honeysuckle with my siblings, hearing a supersonic jet make a test run in the nearby airspace of our home, and realizing at bedtime that I was still wearing my pajamas and no one had noticed the entire day. All of those are probably around 3-4 years old. =)

Country to travel to?
Korea--definitely want to visit sometime. After that, the world. ;-)

Hiking, biking, or horseback?
I'd love to learn how to ride horseback someday. Unfortunately, I don't know how at this point. =) So probably hiking. =)

Million dollars?
a) travel the world, use my financial independence to work only when I wanted to, using the rest of the time to accomplish amazing things(like research nanotechnology, train for the Olympics, develop nuclear fusion and perhaps a couple of my inventions....yeah I have lofty goals. ^_^)
b) begin an international relief organization, support the mission work already in progress, and cherish my family with it. ^_^

LOTR or Narnia?
LOTR probably--I love both but LOTR had more depth in some ways. Kinda hard to explain. Also LOTR was (I think) the first book I ever cried reading(the Return of the King's ending, to be more precise).

Old or new books?
To be honest, I've not read many modern books. Not many are worth it, from what I've heard and the few I've read. So I'd say old.

Movie, read, or bed?
Ahaha, what time? 10 or later, probably thinking about bed. Earlier than that, probably a book. Though if the family was watching a movie, I'd watch it with them. =)

--Josiah C.