Here is how I chose these books:
First, I eliminated all fiction and all books that were not decidedly Christian. Then I eliminated biographies and other works of history, as well as books that significantly impacted my idea of womanhood (that list is coming :) ). From these, I chose the books that didn't "go away." Some of these seemed significant at the time I first read them, but the majority were just interesting, then I laid them aside, then noticed myself using their words and thinking their thoughts... hence, I gave this the title 'Influential Books.' Of course, part of the reason they were so influential is due to their location-in-time at a very particular point in my walk with God, so they may not lead to the same understanding or have the same significance to you, but I would certainly recommend them regardless. They are excellent books!
I would love to see a similar list from any of you who would care to write one!
Either way, in no particular order, without further ado... the list of my most influential nonfiction "God books" :)
Excluding the Bible, which is (hopefully!) obvious...
Knowing God -- J I Packer
Normal Christian Life -- Watchman Nee
The Practice of the Presence of God -- Brother Lawrence
Delighting in the Trinity -- Michael Reeves
Outsmarting Yourself -- Karl Lehman
Desiring God -- John Piper
The Cost of Discipleship -- Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Close to His Majesty -- Gary Needham
Also, an interesting factoid: I can credit one of them, Outsmarting Yourself, for leading me to the conclusion that the most influential books don't teach us new things, but bring to our consciousness things we already knew but could not describe :) Do you think that is generally true, or is that just me?
No comments:
Post a Comment