A friend once asked me to describe my ideal woman. I have thought about that question on and off, but quite honestly, like most true characters, she perishes in the describing... she must be shown. (Have you ever heard the advice most give to story authors: show, don't tell?)
So, as best as I can, I've compiled a list of the books and women who most have impacted my idea of what a Christian woman should be - excluding the books that simply give a godly, not a womanly, example (for instance, favorites such as Practicing the Presence of God or Confessions). This is mostly for my own celebration & remembrance, but in case any of you were interested, I decided to publish it! For more interesting reading, I'm giving a brief glimpse into several of the books, either a quote or a description... I was going to do so for all, but I decided I would like to publish this sooner rather than later (it's already been sitting in drafts for at least a year), so I'll trust in your Googling abilities :) Ask me if you would like to know the significance of any particular one
Passion & Purity - Elisabeth Eliot
The wife of a martyred missionary (who later brought most of the murderous tribe to Christ!) describes her convoluted relationship with the man who she eventually marries, and how, through it all, she seeks to honor God (a true story). She is so honest and writes very well; someone I would like to be like someday!
God Called a Girl - Shannon Kubiak (Primacerio)
A study of the life of Mary and the characteristics of a woman that God can use, with touching autobiographical sections describing how God has worked in her life. I've returned to this one (and her other book, Divine Dance) again and again. I also really like her writing style.
Star of Light - Patricia St. John
A young girl must take her blind younger brother to the city in hopes of finding a doctor who can cure his blindness. Along the way, destitute, they are taken in by a Christian who introduces her to Jesus.
Hinds' Feet on High Places - Hannah Hurnard
Much-Afraid follows the Shepherd through trials of faith of various kinds, learns the path of true Christianity, and ascends to the High Places where her twisted feet are transformed into Hinds' Feet so she can return to the Valley of Humiliation and minister to her Fearing relatives. The sequel, Mountains of Spices, is also great.
An Old-Fashioned Girl - Louisa May Alcott
"Fanny (note: not the titular character) had been to many elegant lunches, but never enjoyed one more than that droll picnic in the studio; for there was a freedom about it that was charming, an artistic flair to everything, and such a spirit of goodwill and gayety, that she felt at home at once...They were girls still, full of spirits, fun, and youth; but below the lightheartedness each cherished a purpose which seemed to ennoble her womanhood, to give her a certain power, a sustaining satisfaction, a daily stimulus, that led her on to daily effort, and in time to some success in circumstance or character which was worth all the patience, hope, and labor of her life."
L'Abri - Edith Schaeffer
Francis Schaeffer, the well-known apologist, established a home which sheltered many honest seekers of truth: L'Abri. In this book, his beloved wife shares the trials and blessings of keeping a home and family under such circumstances, and stories of truths she was able to share with those who passed through.
Esther - God
Ruth - God
I'll assume you know Esther's and Ruth's stories...
Elsie Dinsmore (series) - Martha Finley
Funny story: I began by thinking Elsie was a sweet child. Then I realized she was in her teens in most of the books, and became a bit disgusted-for lack of a better word-by her childishness. And then I realized that I admired many of her traits (though I may choose to express them differently :) ).
Abigail - Lois T Henderson
This book is based on the story of Abigail, the wife of David the king. It has always captured my imagination in a way I can't explain.
Rilla of Ingleside - Lucy Maud Montgomery
Girl of the Limberlost - Gene Stratton Porter
Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm - Kate Douglas Wiggin
Little House on the Prairie series - Laura Ingalls Wilder
One Thousand Gifts - Ann Voskamp
Mary Slessor: Faith in West Africa - collaborative
Little Women - Louisa May Alcott
And women, in order of significance...
Mom
Aunt Marilyn
Mrs. Maridee
Dr. Alison
Mrs. Warren
Brittany
Mrs. Dinki
Mrs. Meehan
Kathryn Flanigan, Bethany Pyche
1 comment:
Nice comprehensive list! I do personally admire Esther's and Ruth's stories, given the amount of God-founded bravery they had to employ.
Post a Comment