Note: a more general post on bands/styles of music I like will follow at some point; I just thought I'd share my two favorite songs since we sang one of them this morning.
Be Thou My Vision
Be Thou my Vision, O Lord of my heart;
Naught be all else to me, save that Thou art.
Thou my best Thought, by day or by night,
Waking or sleeping, Thy presence my light.
Be Thou my Wisdom, and Thou my true Word;
I ever with Thee and Thou with me, Lord;
Thou my great Father, I Thy true son;
Thou in me dwelling, and I with Thee one.
Be Thou my battle Shield, Sword for the fight;
Be Thou my Dignity, Thou my Delight;
Thou my soul’s Shelter, Thou my high Tower:
Raise Thou me heavenward, O Power of my power.
Riches I heed not, nor man’s empty praise,
Thou mine Inheritance, now and always:
Thou and Thou only, first in my heart,
High King of Heaven, my Treasure Thou art.
High King of Heaven, my victory won,
May I reach Heaven’s joys, O bright Heaven’s Sun!
Heart of my own heart, whatever befall,
Still be my Vision, O Ruler of all
Magnificent Obsession - Stephen Curtis Chapman
Lord, You know how much
I want to know so much
In the way of answers and explanations
I have cried and prayed
And still I seem to stay
In the middle of life’s complications
All this pursuing leaves me feeling like I’m chasing down the wind
But now it’s brought me back to You
And I can see again
Chorus:
This is everything I want
This is everything I need
I want this to be my one consuming passion
Everything my heart desires
Lord, I want it all to be for You, Jesus
Be my magnificent obsession
So capture my heart again
Take me to depths I’ve never been
Into the riches of Your grace and Your mercy
Return me to the cross
And let me be completely lost
In the wonder of the love
That You’ve shown me
Cut through these chains that tie me down to so many lesser things
Let all my dreams fall to the ground
Until this one remains...
(Chorus)
1 comment:
Ah, the truth in those songs...beautiful.
I am pleased that you remembered the third verse of Be Thou My Vision--I always liked that one, as it applies to the daily battle we are all in...I wonder why they always miss that one at church.
Hm....I don't know if I can even shorten my list of favorites....I guess I can give two, though. Ah, but which two...:)
How about these:
God Shall Arise:
Father of the orphan, helper of the poor
Protector of the widow and the weak
You are our deliverer, You daily bear us up
You break the prisoners' chains and set them free
God shall arise and His foes be scattered
God shall arise, oh sing His praise
Lift up your eyes, and see your Savior
Our mighty savior, God shall arise
You ride upon the heavens, Your power is in the skies
But you became a servant clothed in flesh
And you obeyed your Father, and in you was no sin
But you were counted guilty, and died our death
Let all the nations say you are awesome
Let every kingdom sing praise
Let all the nations say you are awesome
Let every kingdom sing praise
--Mark Altrogge(Sovereign Grace Music)
Only Jesus(My Legacy):
What will they say
When my life is over?
Will it fade into the past?
What will remain
when my life is over?
Is there something that will last?
What will I leave behind to stand the test of time?
I leave the one who's worthy of my whole life
My legacy, all I will leave
Is Jesus, only Jesus
The world will see inside of me
Is Jesus, only Jesus
Lord, I long for You to be my legacy
Live through me
Forever and ever
Every moment, every day
So my legacy
Forever and ever
Will never fade away
People are longing for
Something so much more
May I testify your glory, Lord!
They won't remember my name
But they'll know the God that saved me
My life may fade away
But they'll know the truth that sets me free
So I will live today
For you alone to be
My life, my love, my legacy
--Denver Bierman (Denver and the Mile High Orchestra)
And...yeah--those are two of my favorites...I love music that honors God. It is a joy to have truth contained in song, and it is such a joy to be able to sing to the Lord! Praise Him forevermore!
--Josiah C.
Post a Comment