Pages

Florida update

Every Christmas when Dad was a boy, he went over to his Aunt Maxine's and made sugar cookies. Now, every year, we make the same recipe as a family... in fact, we just finished baking this year's batch (and eating some!)
I've been designated chief chef for our time here, as Grammy (my dad's mom) dislikes cooking and Mom never minds a break. Anyway, I like cooking; I just run out of time to help most days. Our menu for this week is as follows :-):
Pot roast, courtesy of Grammy
Lasagna
Enchiladas
Pork chops (for Thanksgiving - yep, we're wierd :-))
Beef and noodle casserole
I always get a lot of reading done while at Grammy's, in fact, most of my time here is spent reading or writing, cooking, or playing cards/doing various activities with Grammy. So far I think I've read 5 or 6 books, 3 Isaac Asimov (Prelude to Foundation, Foundation, Foundation and Empire), 1/2 a Jane Austen (Persuasion), which I paused to read 2 Bryan Davis (Candlestone and Circles of Seven) before Lisa got to them - all of these quite interesting transitions, but none more than Asimov (late twentieth century scifi) to Austen (nineteenth century daily life) (!) Umm... let's see... what else? The Bible, of course, working through A. W. Tozer's Pursuit of God, and Faith, Form and Time by a Kurt Wise from worldview camp. Also possible reads are other Austen and Asimov - oh, and Agatha Christie, another loan from Lisa. Gotta love sisters who like the same books you do :-). Amy's reading Tolkien, which I would also borrow, but I've already read the series thrice or four times, I'm not sure :-).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds tasty!
Beef and Noodle casserole, huh? Sounds similar to stroganoff. Ever had it?
Pork chops? Weird? Hah! Our family has had stir fry and dumplings for thanksgiving. ^_^ But either way, a good meal is a good meal. Enjoy the cooking(and maybe do some fun experimenting ^_^)!

Argh! Argh! *making me very jealous right now with all the book reading you can and are doing* Yeah...I have barely had any time for reading my books, as much as I would love to...and I only have gotten through a couple stories of The Life of Fred; much less than I hoped or expected. Ah. well...be thankful for what I have, right? Currently in the process of reading Ted Dekker's Sinner, Stephen Hawking's The Grand Design, Charles Spurgeon's(and many other authors contributing) A Treasury of David, John Piper's A Hunger for God,and The Life of Fred Calculus(and the Bible, of course). ^_^
Once I am done my immense list of those books and a couple others, I am planning to begin on Asimov, with Nightfall, the Foundation series, etc.
Plus writing my own story. ^_^
Ah, for the time to once again be an avid reader...ah, well. Maybe over Christmas break.
Have a great Thanksgiving!

--Josiah C.