Pages

Passion

Emily just posted this beautiful post on her blog, and it got me thinking. This began as a comment, but because of a) length and b) the possibility that it might encourage/benefit the rest of you, here it is:

I was right there a few weeks ago. I had such a passion for growth, for more of God, for everything that was holy. Then, slowly, the passion waned. Why do I tell you this? So hopefully you can learn from my mistake. Press into God, press into His word, keep praying, growing, seeking. Apply Mr. Mahaney's lessons from Jude (which have really stuck with me): remind yourself of the Gospel, pray, and focus on Heaven. And when the excitement fades ---continue.
I think that was my problem. God gave me that excitement to get me started, but when He withdrew His more obvious help, when godliness no longer gave me thrills, I settled back into my old patterns. No, worse, I went farther. I no longer cared, no longer really tried. Now, this was not at all visible from the surface, but when I peered into my heart, there it was: apathy. Not peace either.
We have a totally incorrect view of peace, in general. Peace is not ceasefire, the end of striving, the absence of war. Peace is holy war, striving for God - and resting in Him, and His perfect love and sovereignty. It is not an absence of conflict, war, or striving, it is a Presence.
But from this whole experience I learned a vitally important lesson: passion, excitement, thrills - these are emotions that come and go. I can't rely on them. To quote the movie Fireproof: "you can't trust your heart. Your heart can be deceived. You gotta lead your heart." What is important is not passion, it is obedience. When you (I) can do the right thing, though all our heart and soul seem to cry out against it, then we are firmly set on the road to righteousness. This is not to discount right choices made in times of joy, not at all! But if, when God feels far, and sin in any form feels so near and so tantalizing, we obey... joy will follow.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post, Cara. Very encouraging, and so true. I think that's what I've done. I'll get all hyped up about beating my sin and memorizing scripture, and then I get tired and quit. It's balance that we need, to stick to the task, steady and unmoving. Yes, there will be times that we will get a boost to work harder, but let's not quit when it gets tough!
~mee

Anonymous said...

Yes, indeed!
Thanks for posting this, Cara--'tis a valuable truth. It reminds me of a message on marriage I heard some time ago: it mentioned that one of the reasons that divorce rates in America were so high was because couples "ran out" of love--i.e. their initial spurt that came from "falling in love" dissipated when they realized that their relationship was a long-term engagement with a fallen person who was not quite as perfect as they thought. How often we treat God like that: after our initial spurt of excitement as an early believer, we soon begin to loose that joy when we realize that it is a long-term engagement with hardships. The sermon went on: love is not something that one can "fall into", or some fragile emotion, love is a choice. And sometimes a difficult one. But it is always worth it. So when we pursue a passion for God, we are waging the war--choosing God even when it is harder--so that when the battle is over, we can be with our General.
In older times, a trusted servant would be put in charge of the master's estate while the master was gone--financials, property--everything. Though when the servant's master was present and watching, the servant would receive clear benefits from his master, when the master was gone, there was none. The servant awaited his master's return while taking care of the estate. If the servant's business was successful, he would receive a good portion of the profits, which he could look forward to. On the other hand, the servant could use the master's estate for his own use.
To bring meaning: every day, the servant wished that his master was there, so that good work would be rewarded. Just like we wish that every day, we actively felt God's presence and appreciation for our good deeds. But He calls us to be faithful, even when he is gone and does not always show His appreciation right then and there. If we are faithful, He will reward us. So keep pressing towards God, even when you cannot feel His presence or appreciation--He is definitely worth it.
Besides, if every married couple gave up when their spouse left the house, there would be no children around! If we are the bride of Christ, we must still remain faithful when He steps out for a bit(even though He never really "steps out", but that is besides the point. ^_^)!

--Josiah C.

Emily said...

I love what you had to say. It's so true. Thanks for the reminder. :) Guess what? I'm going to put a quote from this into my favorite quotes file. I'm totally going to quote it :)

Cara said...

Funny, Josiah - I also thought of the same analogy (though I've not heard that particular sermon, insofar as I can remember).

What quote, Emily? That's fun; I've never been quoted before! :-)

I'm glad I have encouraged you; that was definitely the intent!