Pages

Long-delayed update

News: SAT is DONE!!!!! (And went well, I think)
Now on to the ACT.......*sigh* (but ACT prep should not be as bad; the ACT is more straightforward, which is much easier for me when I have limited time)
I've almost made the decision I mentioned needing wisdom for-whether or not to go to worldview camp. It's a 2-week camp in Tennessee in the beginning of July. It would be really neat to go; mostly I just wish someone I knew was coming along -- but God is, isn't He? :-) And given I would have several hours of free time each afternoon, I could post what I learn here and it would almost seem like you all were there with me...or that's what I'm telling myself, anyway :-).

Nugget: God has been teaching me to love* things-and especially people-by and through Him. Let me know if this makes any sense, because it's a hard concept to elucidate...
It's like this: we love God. When we truly love Him, He is not preeminent in our hearts. He is only. Then, as we love God, we love the things He loves with His love. How? It's a process of surrendering our "control" then re-receiving everything "back" from Him who gave it. Here it is that God, "who did not spare His own Son, but gave Him up for us all...graciously gives us all things" (Romans 8). We release it all, only to receive it back (for the most part) with more joy and less jealousy than before. We don't need it, only God.
...if you've seen Star Wars II: Attack of the Clones (which we are wending our slow way through at the moment), think of Anakin's relationship with Padme. That is exactly what we avoid. We are at peace.
If you really want to know what I'm trying to say, read George MacDonald, The Laird's Inheritance (which I have if you want to borrow :-)). It's a simple story, an easy read, but probably the best of his that I have read-I forgot what a beautiful writer he could be when portraying simple lives of faith. He only falls into difficulty when he wrestles with larger issues.

*Note: I'm using love in the very general sense of attachment or affection, such as you might feel for a friend or even a beloved book or other possession.

2 comments:

Cara said...

The ACT *is* more straightforward- the math is soooo much easier-but the Science Reasoning test is tough... I'm not a "details person"! So, if you think of me on Saturday morning, please pray :-).

Anonymous said...

I will pray for you! I could say good luck--if I believed in such things--but I think I will go for: God is with you, so be bold in faith. :)
That worldview camp sounds great!
Actually, what you are saying about God teaching you to love by and through Him makes a lot of sense. True love is when a man is willing to give up his life for another...or something like that.:) But for God to give His life to save us--out of love; for us to live as "living sacrifices" for Him alone would be to return that love, so to speak. We surrender our lives to God, and by that act--which we can only do by His power!--we become more like Christ, and it becomes Him living through us, and His love that we live by. Thus, by truly loving God, we love things the way He loves. Am I getting the same idea, or am I on a completely different track?
To God alone be the glory! We can only come because He drew us, only love because He loved us first. Ah, to be more like Christ!

--Josiah C.