Pages

Wondering...

I'm planning to read through Systematic Theology (or part of it!) this summer.

1) Would you be interested in going through it (or another discussion-worthy book: suggestions welcome) with me?

2) Would you prefer to do so here on my blog or to have a discussion group that would meet somewhere regularly, or both?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay!
You already know this, but I reiterate:
1) Yes, I would love to go through Systematic Theology or another worthy book this summer! Although, I kinda like the idea of Systematic Theology--I think it would be good for proper doctrine learning and such.
2) I would prefer to have a discussion group meet somewhere regularly; even though it would take more effort to set up and maintain, I think it would be worth it for the increased learning capability given by a group study/discussion in person.

Thanks for your God-seeking heart and actions shown by your voracious study of and search for God's truth! :)

--Josiah C.

Cara said...

Updates from Facebook... (Thanks, Josiah C!)
Thanks also to Emily... who actually answered both questions!

Wesley: There are discussion questions at the end of the chapters, aren't there? I think that discussing Systematic Theology would be amazing. We'd be working on it for quite a while, but it would be completely worth it. ;)

Also, if a lot of people have Bible Doctrine, the condensed version of Systematic Theology, that might be better since it's much shorter and more concise, though definitely not as in-depth.

Lastly, if everyone included in this message doesn't have Systematic Theology, do yourself a favor and buy a copy, or get someone to buy it for you. ;)

Eric:Yeah, studying ST would definitely be worth it..been studying it for a while now. And yes, whoever doesn't own a copy, BUY IT

Emily:I was planning on starting to study this over the summer myself. I would certainly be interested. :) This is an amazing book! I would echo Wes and Eric...if you don't own it, you need to!

Josiah G.: I don't think I'd be able to devote the time, but I'd encourage you all to do it. :)

Emily: Oh, also, although I am interested, I can't completely commit yet. I would need to evaluate my schedule and pray about it first :)

Hannah said...

That sounds pretty good to me!!

Emily said...

I still am sure about the study. I /know/ I'm gonna be studying it on my own, but I'm not sure about studying it in a group. What were you thinking of handling it? Would we just use the questions in the book?

Cara said...

To be honest, Emily, I haven't thought about it much. I just thought it would be interesting to go through as a group, maybe debate some of the more controversial points, share insights, etc. This question is intended as a feeler (Do you think you might be interested if we did something along this line?) rather than a sign-up sheet (looking for commitments, with an exact plan) exactly. Suggestions welcome!

Anonymous said...

"Suggestions welcome"...In that case, do you mind if I share an idea on that?
I think that it would be great to study Systematic Theology as a group. So I was thinking; could we have a group meet on a regular basis(maybe like twice a week, due to the depth and quantity of what we want to study in the space of one summer) at a place somewhere nice and in between those who want to study. So maybe something like meeting on the greenway at sometime twice a week(bringing ST and a Bible and maybe some water+snacks), walking for a little while, then sitting down somewhere and studying for about one to two hours. This would involve reading the chapter, coming up with a list of questions, then going through the discussion questions+our own questions. They then could be answered by passages of scripture or doctrine. So it would work to increase our own knowledge of doctrine, as well as be an evangelism technique of sorts. By this I mean: people notice. When they see a group of teenagers involved in INTENSIVE STUDY of BOOKS in the middle of /SUMMER/ *gasp*; people will naturally have questions. And hopefully, we would be able to answer. :) An example of the evangelical potential of this is one I encountered just this last Tuesday. I was at a stock trading seminar(and was, by far, the youngest person there), and during the break period, I pulled out Rescuing Ambition by Dave Harvey and began to read. Only 20 pages later(which is a short time when you are reading introductions), a lady asked me what I was reading. She mentioned that she thought it was odd that instead of being on a cell phone or iphone or some other social device, that I was reading. Too few people read these days, she said. The conversation went on, but by the end of it, she asked for the title and author of all the books I had in my backpack--Disciplines of a Godly Man, The Masculine Mandate, Rescuing Ambition, The Gospel Primer, Just Do Something, and Desiring God. All of these, by the way, are Christian/theology books. So my point in this is that people will notice a study like the one we are thinking of, and it may be used to further the gospel. This is the reason I thought of meeting in a nice public place like the greenway. But that is just my suggestion--does anyone else have one, or have a add-on/change to my idea?

--Josiah C.