Pages

Another discussion

Since I don't expect this one to be as much like a debate, I'm just doing it in a "normal" blog post...if it turns out differently, I can easily convert it :-).

What do you think humility is? Or better yet, how is humility displayed in a) relationship with God, b) relationship with family, and c) relationship with friends? Although I am interested in definitions from books or Bible dictionaries, I'm more interested in your examples of how humility is "worked out." And remember: short thoughts and quick examples are also appreciated, both here and on every post, if you don't have time-or at least not just now-to post a longer comment! (which is a reason why I'm also posting polls, which only ask for quick answers/reactions)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Humility...that is a tough one. I guess that that what I think humility is would be explained in how I think it is displayed, so I will answer part 2) of your main question to answer the rest of it. :)
How is humility displayed in
a) relationship with God: Humility is displayed in many ways here. Let's see...first, where would humility come from? Two ways come to mind: fear and respect. Correct fear of God would evoke humility from man, as man realizes that 1) he is weaker than God, 2) God has power over his soul, and 3) God does not need him. Respect of God would evoke humility as man would recognize God's perfection in all things. Next, how would humility be displayed through man? Man would love God more, as he realizes the mercy and love God showed him at the cross. Man would honor and worship God more, as he sees God's amazing power over all things. Man would repent of his sins, for he does not wish to anger the one with power over his soul. Man would serve God willingly, for though he knows God does not need him, he loves to give back to the one who gave him so much. Man would also try to emulate God, for he realizes God's perfect character.

b) Relationship with family: First thing that comes to mind is "honor your father and mother", and "obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right". With parents, humility is shown through obedience, respect, and honoring. To obey "in the Lord" I think would mean a couple things: obey as to the Lord, obey in the Lord's strength, and to obey because God commands you to. To respect and honor your parents does not mean blind or foolish devotion, but nor does it mean only to settle for "yes Ma'am" and "yes Sir" and call it respect. Rather it would be bringing honor to them by upright actions, and respecting their authority and decisions.
In relation to your siblings, humility would be shown by kindness, support, and serving. To be there--encouraging, helping...to consider them as better than yourself, and serve without complaint or expecting gain...these would show humility to your siblings.

c) Relationship with friends: Humility would be shown towards friends in: speaking the truth in love, serving them, and using words that build them up. To speak the truth in love would show humility by being willing to correct them, but being loving rather than chastising, showing that you consider them better than yourself. To serve is in the same way being humble, looking to their needs before your own. Using words to build others up is humble, as you are not puffing yourself up or bringing them down, but rather you are bringing them higher than yourself--encouraging, thanking, exhorting, etc.

In all these things(I guess I shall answer part 1) of your question as well), humility seems to be putting others before yourself. And I also noticed that in being humble to other people, you are also being humble to God by submitting to His commands. Humility brings out some of the best in people, for if one is proud: kindness, mercy, love, honor, respect, praise, etc.--none of them are possible.

This may not be perfectly clear, so if you have questions or comments--comment! (Also, all the rest of you readers, COMMENT ANYWAY! It does not have to be long, but at least make your presence known. :) )

--Josiah C.