Pages

Poll: Your favorites

Refresher: polls are intended to be quick to read and answer, just random questions that I'm curious to hear your opinions on. You're welcome to spend more time and explain why you have a given opinion, but a quick reply is all I'm really looking for. So here goes...

Which do you prefer to a) read and b) write, fiction, nonfiction, neither, or both?
Which do you think you write better, fiction, nonfiction, neither, or both?

4 comments:

Cara said...

My "poll" answers (model):
a) Both.
b) Umm...probably fiction.
c) Definitely nonfiction, unfortunately :-).

My "long" answers: :-)
a) I like fiction better, but nonfiction is generally better for me-and I do enjoy it too, just more (...quietly? -aargh! not the right word!).
b-c) I love writing fiction, but it doesn't work for me, except short stories occasionally. I've grown to enjoy writing nonfiction too, fortunately-I do much better with it.

Anonymous said...

a) I love reading both.
b) I prefer to write fiction...
c) but skill-wise, I am much better at non-fiction...*sigh*

"Long answers" :)
a) I love reading both fiction and non-fiction, however it really depends on the skill of the writer. Often, fiction has a better "mind-visual-capacity"*, but some of the non-fiction authors I have read(Stephen Hawking, John Piper, Joshua/Alex/Brett Harris, Dr. Wile, and many more) have a stunning ability in writing, and engage as much as or more than some fiction I have read.

*"Mind-visual-capacity" is my term for how well a book can create images in my mind to follow concepts. For example, in my "system" of sorts, a MVC of 9 would be a book that I can "see" everything that happens and follow all of the concepts almost perfectly; the concepts and story also last for a longer time in memory, and the book would seem an "easier read"(i.e. because I could follow the entire thing in my mind's eye, the book would be read much faster and be understood better). On the other hand, a MVC of 2 would be "juvenile writing"--something that, though I could follow it, the writing was bad enough that my mind did not want to create images, and I had issues following it 'cause it takes so much effort to focus. More than you wanted to know, no doubt. :)

b) I have many more ideas for(and therefore enjoyment of writing those ideas) writing fiction, c) however I often do not have the patience to write the 6-part novel series that I think of, and must fall back to writing short stories in fiction, or writing non-fiction(which I am better at, mainly because I can describe it better than fiction).
However, I enjoy reading and writing both; the levels of enjoyment just vary. :)

--Josiah C.

Dean O said...

Question #1! I enjoy reading both.

Question #2! I seem to write better in both. I am able to express myself when I write. There is time to think and correct what I say. I seem to get into trouble when I talk.

Anonymous said...

Question 1#-I enjoy reading both but fiction can get boring.

Question 2#-I enjoy writing both but I am not very good at continuing fiction. I would say it is easier for me to write nonfiction.

Jace