FYI, if you are in a hurry, read my other posts instead, as I think they're far more worthwhile, but this might interest some of you :-).
Ralph Waldo Emerson said, "Life consists in what a man is thinking of all day." So what do you think of "all day"? (which is to say, barring school time-I know what you're thinking about then :-)) I know this might be a tough question, because I'm having trouble answering it (always a bad sign! :-)), so I'll give you some of the topics out of my thoughts notebook instead. As a sidenote: let me know if any pique your interest, and I'll write up my further thoughts on here and we can "talk" about them :-). Another sidenote: when you think of something, do you ever think of a title instead of a thought? By which I mean - well, here's an example. When I thought the other day about how pushing kids to read, read, read - read anything! - has more or less ruined American literature, I didn't think it that way. I thought "[TBD title*]: How the Rush to Read has Ruined American Literature." Or other times I'll even think of the title, such as "Throwing out the Baby and Keeping the Bathwater Instead: The Bankruptcy of the Social Gospel Movement**" (which is way too long but I love it :-))
*Since determined to be "The Captain Underpants Phenomenon" (Captain Underpants being the name of a book series I've shelved waaayyy to often at the library)
**Have to be careful with the term "Social Gospel" because it has a lot of different meanings. I'm referring to the Social Gospel movement of the early 20th century and its modern incarnations, which should - *hopefully* - clear it up a little.
Here's the first sentence of another thought: "The problem with naturalism in science is its impossibility", basically because science can't be supported by that worldview. If naturalism is true, the world should be chaos, so they must assume it is-but then how can they do science, which has its fundamental basis in order?
The root of passion is sight (not as in processing light waves put as really taking in, understanding, etc).
One of my favorite quotes: "All corruptions of truth must be like the truth they corrupt." So true of tolerance, which I think is a corruption of love.
It is impossible for all religions to be true. Can God exist and not exist at the same time?
Is separate inherently unequal? It seems that we took the Supreme Court ruling to that effect and applied it far too broadly- take guys and girls, rich and poor, etc
Another title: (Anonymous)
First we went to the cities, now to the internet, in an effort to reinvent ourselves
Ability to predict behavior is familiarity. Ability to explain behavior is understanding.
What is the right way to resist evil government?
Given enough time, do physical laws change? If so, we can't know anything about the past. If not, then "given enough time, anything can happen" - a foundational assumption of evolution, by the way - is not true
Another title: "Why fiction?: The irreplaceable characteristics of imaginative literature"
2 comments:
What do I think of all day? Hmmm..definitely tough. It varies--a lot--but I guess my mind's favorites would be novelty(anything new or interesting). Fortunately for me, God never gets old, and He is always revealing new aspects of His character...I wonder if He does that sort of thing to help me realize that He is the only one who will ever satisfy....hmmm...^_^
Yes, I ocassionaly have "titles" instead of thoughts. ^_^ However, more often with me, I will have one-sentence-parts-to-speeches-or-stories in my head. For example, instead of a thought on how technology affects our daily lives, I will think: "That device you just called your friend with would have gotten you burnt at stake a couple hundred years ago, and you just used it without thinking twice." Or something like that. Do you ever do that?
What does"TBD" stand for?
Can you define what you mean by "passion" in the sentence: "The root of passion is sight (not as in processing light waves put as really taking in, understanding, etc)."?
I like the quote about corruptions of truth. It hits the truth of the matter--but can the truth be seen clearly when there are many look-alikes? Through God alone, yes it can!
I have a friend who I can predict, but not explain...heh. Familiar, but not understood. ^_^
Hmmm...difficult(and touchy) subject. Here is a theory: one resists an evil government correctly by realizing that God has placed them in authority for a reason. Then, we act only in a way that would further the gospel. I can further explain if needed...but for an example, consider Chinese Christians. They submit to persecutions, imprisonment, and restrictions. Why? Because to rebel would dishonor God's name among the unbelievers. But at the same time, they meet in house churches(against the Chinese law, but not God's law), and work towards making their country better whenever they get the chance.
By the way, I found all of your thoughts interesting, but here are a couple that I would like to hear more on:
"The root of passion is sight (not as in processing light waves put as really taking in, understanding, etc)."
"Is separate inherently unequal? It seems that we took the Supreme Court ruling to that effect and applied it far too broadly- take guys and girls, rich and poor, etc"
"First we went to the cities, now to the internet, in an effort to reinvent ourselves"
"Another title: "Why fiction?: The irreplaceable characteristics of imaginative literature""
Keep the ideas flowing! ^_^
Yep, I think sentences sometimes, but more often titles, which is mostly the same idea :-).
TBD = to be decided
Will do my best-my next post, however, will be on "chronological snobbery" which I didn't even mention because I had already decided :-). I told Ethan I'd write about it "soon"-probably a month ago now :-). And too, it's one of my more original thoughts
Post a Comment