Many of you know that I'm in the throes of trying to decide what major to declare - and that I need to soon (actually, probably by tomorrow, when I need to give a scholarship form or two to my ever-helpful CPCC instructor, Mrs. Tucker). Just for "fun", here's my "short" list (and of course, I'm indecisive *ahem* thorough as always... :-))
Aerospace engineering
Bioengineering
Chemical engineering
Civil/environmental engineering
Electrical engineering
Materials science
Health and Medicine (surprised you with that one, didn't I? :-) Well, I'm certainly not becoming a doctor or nurse - what usually comes to mind with "medicine" - my two options here are psychiatry and pharmacology)
Molecular biology
Neuroscience
English
Chemistry
Justice & Law
Anthropology
Economics
Education
History
Journalism
Library sciences
Psychology
Most of which would be paired with at least one minor from these...
Comparative literature
Dance
English
Philosophy
Psychology
Sociology
Religious studies
History
All of which would be really interesting majors, but are not feasible, whether because they're dead-end degrees or because I'd need a PhD to do anything in the field (Physics and Astronomy were eliminated altogether by that second criteria)
And these options don't even begin to cover all the various scenarios for my future that manage to coexist in my head... many of which have little to do with my decisions (i.e. if I marry, and when that might happen). Fortunately, God is in control, and I can trust Him and have peace in the process, even if it feels like Mom and Dad are asking me to determine the entire course of my life in the next 24 hours or so... (yes, I'm prone to hyperbole :-))
3 comments:
Hey Cara! I'll be praying for you as you try and decide. One thing to keep in mind is that you don't have to decide right away on a major. You could always go to CPCC for a couple of years and get all your general ed and graduate with your Associates in Arts and then transfer to UNCC or whatever other 4 year school you might be looking at(and you could choose your major at that point).
It would probably mean that it would be harder to get scholarships if you did it that way. But I guess I'm just encouraging you to not rush your decision about your entire future just to save some money. If God isn't guiding you to one choice right now, just wait. And if you miss out on scholarships because of it, remember that He is faithful to supply all of your needs and He will take care of any financial issues as well.
I am reminded of Matthew 6 where it says: "Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?.....So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."
I'm not using that verse as an excuse not to plan....planning is good. God very well could lead you to a decision today. But if He chooses not to, keep that verse in mind.
Also, another encouraging verse is Isaiah 26:3-4- You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you, because he trusts in you. Trust in the LORD forever, for the LORD GOD is an everlasting rock.
Thanks for the encouragement, Emily. I definitely appreciate your prayers. We've thought about having me go to CPCC, though I've done a great deal of my gen ed already via concurrent enrollment, so Dad doesn't think it would be worth it... we'll see
I am praying as well!
--Josiah C
Post a Comment