Pages

Because I felt like posting...

Here is a random fact and some quotes, just because I felt like saying something...

By the way, I found my binding, so I will give you the looong post detailing my journey through Romans 8 here soon.

Random fact: The Greeks believed there were 4 elements: earth, air, fire and water. Although we now know of over 100 elements, the Greeks were more right than any 19th century scientist would have believed. Instead of 4 elements, they identified the 4 states of natural substances...
earth (solid)
water (liquid)
air (gas)
fire (plasma)
(!)

Some quotes from history, too true today (apologies for the political ones, if you don't agree with them - if so, I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on the matter):

“Anybody who did not regard tolerance as one of the supreme virtues was to them intolerable.” ~Only Yesterday

“Christianity is dying of respectability.” ~Moody

“Every civilization carries the seeds of its own destruction, and the same cycle shows in them all. The Republic is born, flourishes, decays into plutocracy, and is captured by the shoemaker whom the mercenaries and millionaires make into a king. The people invent their oppressors, and the oppressors serve the function for which they are invented.” ~Mark Twain

“Happy is a nation who has no history, and a lot of good shows to watch.” ~Only Yesterday, summarizing the feeling of the 1920’s

“I assure you that you will observe a vast wasteland.” ~FCC chairman commenting on the quality of television – in 1961!

“The conditions which surround us best justify our cooperation; we meet in the midst of a nation brought to the verge of moral, political and material ruin. Corruption dominates the ballot box, legislatures, congress, and touches even the ermine of the bench. The fruits of the toil of millions are boldly stolen, unprecedented in the history of mankind; and the possessors of these [monies] in turn despise the public and endanger liberty. We have witnessed for more than a quarter of a century the struggles of two great political parties for power and plunder. We charge that the controlling influence dominating both these parties has permitted the existing dreadful conditions to develop without serious effort to prevent or restrain them. Neither do they now promise us any substantial reform.” ~Populist Party platform of 1892
 
“The man who by his own effort raises himself above poverty appears, in these discussions, to be of no account. The man who has done nothing to raise himself above poverty finds that the social doctors flock about him, bringing the capital which they have collected and promising the aid of the State to give him what the other had to work for…” ~The Gilded Age: A History in Documents
 
And for a bit of humor...
 
“The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings; the inherent virtue of socialism is the equal sharing of miseries.” ~Winston Churchill (he does have a way with words, doesn't he? :-))

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yay! I am looking forward to seeing what you got out of Romans 8. ^_^

And you got all four states correct. Nice--not that many people remember about plasma. Where did you learn of plasma, and how much do you know of it? I ask mainly because I heard of it from some of my scientific reading, but they did not explain much...so I was kinda hoping you had heard a bit more and could share a bit with me, as plasma is a subject that interests me. ^_^

I love the quotes! One funny quote from an old German magazine Dad showed me today is this(well, as close as I can remember it): 'If communism were a kingdom of sand, there would be no problem for a while, and then there would be a shortage of sand.' ^_^
If I find the magazine again, I will try to find a couple more of the funny quotes they had...

Did you know that Winston Churchill was not originally a powerful and persuasive speaker? In fact, he often had trouble speaking--to get better, he practiced for hours, memorizing his speeches, making them sound better, even detailing them to the point of "I should probably stop for audience laughter/applause here", or "get louder to emphasize this point", etc.. Eventually, he became so good at it, that impromptu wit flowed naturally. Speaking of famous voices that were not always such, did you know that the man who played Darth Vader used to be a boy who was high-pitched and too afraid to speak even his name without stammering in school? He did not want to always have that weakness, so he practiced long and hard until his voice became the deep, resonant voice that we now associate with the evil power, Darth Vader. ^_^

--Josiah C.