Pages

Day 5

Here is an interesting comparison of Israel and Jesus, from Dr. Turner, our theology-in-the-morning person. Sorry for the formatting-I don't know enough about Blogger to figure out how to make it do what I want it to.

Israel / Jesus
Birth in Egypt / Birth, flight to Egypt
Plagues / Deaths of the babies
Exodus / Baptism
Wilderness / Temptation
Law / Sermon on the Mount
Kingdom in the land / Kingdom ministry
Exile / Death
Restoration? / Resurrection

The rest of the day was spent learning about Islam and feminism (two different seminars, not together :-))

Another compare/contrast

God of the Bible / Muslim Allah
Relational / No relationship
Unchanging / Capricious, changes his commands regularly
Accessible / Aloof
Covenant / No promises
Reveals self / Reveals will

Here is how the speaker said he shares with his Muslim friends about the Trinity. Ask three questions:
1) Is God infinite or finite?
2) Is God one?
3) Is God limited to our finite conceptions of oneness?

Isn't that good? I'd like to share more, but I'd better let someone else use the computer... tell me what you enjoy hearing about, and I'll tell you some more! (questions are great too, if you have them)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So the speaker asks the questions: "1) Is God infinite or finite?
2) Is God one?
3) Is God limited to our finite conceptions of oneness?" with the intent of "cornering"(you know what I mean) the Muslim into acknowledging or at least considering that God may be a Trinity rather than just one person? Interesting...however, that is an argument that could be turned against you...did I understand it correctly? Or am I missing something?

I enjoy hearing all of it! :) But to give you a specific category....ummm, how about the way that these people go about evangelism to different worldviews?

Do you have any issues with what is taught? (i.e. do not agree with things, or just are not sure of its logic or Biblical value)

I am sure that I will be asking far too many questions, so don't feel like you have to answer them all. :)

--Josiah C.

Dean O said...

Your at the half way mark,almost. One week away before you return from that mountain-top expereance! question: 1.) When you return, How ae you going to continue learning what you've learned at camp? 2.) How are you, one person, going to change others?

Cara said...

To Josiah: yes, the point was to hopefully cause Muslims to admit to the possibility of the Trinity. How would it be turned against us?

Unfortunately, evangelism to the different worldviews hasn't been a stress so far. They've mostly focused on helping us understand them, which would probably make us better evangelists anyway.

Sometimes I think they take things a bit too far, sometimes not far enough, and sometimes I don't think they state things well, but I don't think I've outright disagreed with anything they've said so far.

To Cousin Dean:
1) by reviewing notes and discussing with my friends what I have learned and by continuing to read and research on my own
2) Hopefully by understanding others better I will be more able to appeal to them for the Gospel. Also, hopefully I will be able to help my friends to the same end with all that I have learned.

Anonymous said...

Well, it may be just me....but it seemed like the argument "Is God limited to our finite conceptions of oneness?" would allow them to say: "is God limited to your finite conception of a Trinity?" or a variation thereof. For example, a question like "what makes your idea of a Trinity better than our idea of God with one person only?" or "why would an all-powerful, infinite God need two other persons?" or "just because God is not limited to our finite conceptions does not mean that he is different than how he told us he is(remember, a) God cannot lie, and b) for the Muslims, God said he was one)?
I don't really know a Muslim's viewpoint, but these are some of what I thought might be brought up to counter the above argument.

I am glad that they do not have beliefs that you disagree with outright. :)

--Josiah C.