Today probably wasn't my favorite day. It was a lot about gender roles and the importance of marriage and family-all great, but nothing I haven't heard before and the speakers they had weren't the most qualified/competent to discuss it. However, I did like Dr. Turner's lecture this morning - his last, unfortunately. Here are some highlights from his lectures, besides what I told you yesterday, and one from Dr Meyer:
To be made in God's image has a lot of significance. In the past, conquerors of a land would put up sculptures (images) that represented their authority. Any insult against these images would be taken personally by the king himself. This is us: "to degrade humanity is to attack God" No wonder sin against others is so serious!
Understanding the context of the Bible is huge. By this he didn't only mean the surrounding verses. He also meant the larger context of the whole Biblical metanarrative ("big story"). Where does this fit in the larger story of redemption? Here is an assignment he gave his students that I will try when I have time: try to summarize the whole Biblical metanarrative in 500-700 words: Creation to glorification (he calls it consummation).
Shalom is often translated as peace. A better word would be wholeness.
Exodus 19:4-6 "Special possession" and "holy nation" suggest being separate and different. Kingdom of Priests, on the other hand, involves mediation between nations and God.
Unfortunately, a lot of stuff I'd like to tell you about Biblical interpretation is in another notebook that I'm not allowed to carry with me... ask me when I get home and maybe I can tell you then :-)!
1 comment:
"the speakers they had weren't the most qualified/competent to discuss it"...Interesting phrasing. :) What did you mean by that?
Do the teachers have a "specialization"(i.e. a certain type of subject they speak on often)?
Amazing to think that God made us in His image! Even though He knew we would sin and fail, He still gives us the status of His image-bearer! How deep the Father's love for us!
Whew! Even 700 words is difficult...at least he did not ask you to do it in a sentence!(semicolon fest! ;) )
You are going to have to tell a lot of stuff and stories when you get back. :)
--Josiah C.
Post a Comment