Pages

Day 8

Well, fortunately/unfortunately, I took all my notes in the non-removable notebook (i.e. the one I can't take with me to the computer) today. Therefore, I shall share my summary of a skit I saw last night at the talent show (which was fun and funny both). By the way, the only people I knew who participated, Matt and I believe Sarah, played piano, and both were very good, though Sarah was amazing.

Two of the counselors "go exploring" in a "deep dark cave" and encounter another counselor playing Gollum. They ask Gollum what he thinks the meaning of life is. He goes through a couple of worldviews, saying things like this: "I am an existentialist; I make my own meaning" "I am a nihilist; life has no meaning" The idea was he was "discovering himself." Then the two counselors discover the Ring lying on the floor, and he chases after them, furious that they would steal it.

I thought it was a very funny and poignant way to express in a skit what we had been hearing all week-ultimately, intuitively, we know that something has meaning, and when someone else tries to take that meaning from us we are furious. This is why many relativists still use categories of right and wrong.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gotta love skits!(well, well-done-ones) :)
The counselors were playing in the skit? Interesting. How old were they, and what exactly do the counselors do normally?(more detailed than just "counsel", please):)
How would someone "take" meaning away? After all, the existentialists are not furious at existentialism, or nihilists at nihilism for taking meaning away...as far as I know. :)

--Josiah C.